The deadline for submitting SALTA applications is 11:59 PM, October 3, 2019. No late submissions will be accepted.
***APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED ON A COMPUTER.
THIS PROGRAM WILL NOT WORK ON A PHONE. Thank You!***
Canyons School District's SALTA magnet services are designed to serve students in grades 1-8 who demonstrate significantly high cognitive and academic ability when compared with others of their age, experience, and/or environment.
All testing will be conducted on ipads for Kindergarten and First grade with proctor-lead, or on a stationary computer for grades 2-7, audio-led through headphones.
These abilities are assessed over a TWO-DAY testing block.
On day 1, students will be administered an approximately 3 hour cognitive abilities test (CogAT).
On day 2, students will be administered an approximately 3 hour academic abilities tests (IOWA).
All children exhibit some of the following characteristics. Parents should consider requesting testing if they OFTEN observe that their child exhibits MANY of the following behaviors or characteristics:
- Tests several grade levels above same-age peers
- Has an exceptionally large vocabulary for his/her age
- Recalls facts easily
- Exceptional abilities in science and/or math
- Makes a generalization easily; sees cause and effect
- Chooses to read books on a more advanced level than peers
- Shows unusual reasoning power
- Becomes immersed in topics
- Exhibits interest in "adult" social problems
- Is creative and generates many ideas/solutions to problems
- Willing to take risks in an effort to learn something new
- Seeks/make friends who are chronologically older
- Strives for perfection and is often self-critical
- Thrives in controversial or problem situations
- Verbalizes the need to be intellectually/creatively challenged
All SALTA Requests for Testing MUST be submitted by 11:59 PM, October 3, 2019. Late applications will NOT be accepted under any circumstance.
The online application cannot be saved and revisited, meaning once you begin the application process, you must complete it in one sitting. Please allow at least 20-30 minutes to complete the process.
Completion of the Scales for Identifying Gifted Students (SIGS) is a requirement of the application process that can be completed after the application has been submitted. However, the HOME SIGS must be completed before the 11:59 PM, October 3, 2019 deadline.
Your child's current teacher will complete the SCHOOL SIGS.
Please Read the Following Information Carefully:
SALTA Testing Fees
Applicants currently attending a CSD school applying for SALTA testing for the first time are not required to pay a fee.
Applicants not currently attending a CSD school, are required to pay $50 fee paid online via RevTrak by 11:59 PM, October 3, 2019. However, non-CSD students who qualify, enroll, and attend the CSD SALTA magnet program will be refunded the fee.
Applicants currently attending a CSD school that have previously tested for the SALTA program, with the exception of current SALTA 3rd grade students, are required to pay a $25 fee paid online via RevTrak by 11:59 PM, October 3, 2019. However, repeat CSD applicants who qualify, enroll and attend the CSD SALTA magnet program will be refunded the fee.
FOR SCHOOL LOCATION TESTING TIMES FOR ALL STUDENTS: Click Here
SALTA Frequently Asked Questions: FAQs